Last updated on Wed, Nov 6, 2013
Contact InformationUniversity of Alabama at Birmingham
Department of Philosophy
900 13th Street South, Room 419
Birmingham, AL 35294 USA
- University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Assistant Professor, Department of Philosophy (Fall 2010 – present)
- Hunter College, The City University of New York
- Adjunct Lecturer/Graduate Assistant, Department of Philosophy (Fall 2005 – Spring 2009)
For more information on my teaching, see http://www.davidmorrow.net/teaching.
- June 2010, A.M. in Public Policy, University of Chicago
- May 2009, Ph.D. in Philosophy, The Graduate Center of The City University of New York
- Dissertation: Of the Terrible Doubt of Appearances: An Essay in Moral Epistemology (Advisor: Catherine Wilson)
- May 2003, B.A. in Philosophy, Johns Hopkins University
- May 2003, B.Mus. in Trumpet Performance, Peabody Conservatory
- Morrow, David R. "When technologies make good people do bad things: Another argument against the value-neutrality of technologies." Science and Engineering Ethics.
- Morrow, David R. "Starting a fire to stop a flood? Some moral constraints on solar radiation management." Ethics, Policy & Environment.
- Morrow, David R., Robert E. Kopp, and Michael Oppenheimer. "Political legitimacy in decisions about experiments in solar radiation management." In Climate Change Geoengineering: Philosophical Perspectives, Legal Issues, and Governance Frameworks, edited by William C. G. Burns and Andrew L. Strauss. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2013.
- Morrow, David R., Robert E. Kopp, and Michael Oppenheimer. "Research ethics and geoengineering." In Geogneineering Our Climate? Working Paper Series, edited by Jason Blackstock, Clark Miller, Steve Rayner, Jack Stillgoe, et al. Published online June 2013.
- Morrow, David R. and Anthony Weston. A Workbook for Arguments: A Complete Course in Critical Thinking. Indianapolis, IN: Hackett Publishing Co., 2011.
- Morrow, David R. and Chris Alen Sula. "Naturalized metaphilosophy." Synthese 182, no. 2 (2011): 297–31. doi: 10.1007/s11229-009-9662-13
- Morrow, David R., Robert E. Kopp, and Michael Oppenheimer. Toward ethical norms and institutions for climate engineering research Environmental Research Letters 4, no. 4 (2009): 045106. doi: 10.1088/1748-9326/4/4/045106
- Morrow, David. "Moral psychology and the 'Mencian creature'." Philosophical Psychology 22, no. 3 (2009). doi: 10.1080/09515080902970657
Other Research Projects
- Rand’s Bibliography and 19th-Century Philosophy, with Chris Alen Sula, 2012–present. Supported by a grant from the College of Arts & Sciences at The University of Alabama at Birmingham.
- Phylo, an initiative of DigitalHumanities@SILS (with Chris Alen Sula), 2006–present
- Doctoral Research Grant, CUNY Graduate Center, 2005: “Uncovering Elizabeth Birch: In Search of Shaftesbury’s Teacher.” A study of the historical origins of moral sense theory, drawing on primary sources in London and Oxford.
- "Climate sins of our fathers? Historical accountability in allocating emissions rights." Paper to be presented at International Association for Environmental Philosophy group session at the 2013 Eastern APA, Baltimore, MD, December 27–30, 2013.
- "Fairness in allocating the global carbon budget." Paper presented at
- 8th Annual International Conference on Applied Ethics, University of Hokkaido, Sapporo, Japan, November 1–3, 2013.
- International Society for Environmental Ethics group session at the 2013 Central APA, New Orleans, LA, February 20–23, 2013.
- "Does conceivability entail metaphysical possibility?" (with Moti Mizrahi). Paper presented at Philosophers' Cocoon Philosophy Conference, University of Tampa, Tampa, FL, October 19–20, 2013.
- "Wants, needs, and the allocation of the global carbon budget." Paper presented at the Multi-disciplinary Perspectives on Climate Ethics Workshop, Como, Italy, September 26–27, 2013.
- "Climate sins of our fathers? Historical accountability in allocating emissions rights." Paper presented at Rocky Mountain Ethics Congress (RoME VI), University of Colorado–Boulder, Boulder, CO, August 8–11, 2013.
- "Fairness in allocating the global carbon budget." Paper presented at
- "Do we have enough income inequality?" Paper presented at the 50th Annual Meeting of the Alabama Philosophical Society, Pensacola Beach, FL, October 5–6, 2012.
- "Why Act-Consequentialism Collapses Into Rule-Consequentialism." Paper presented at the Rocky Mountain Ethics Congress (RoME V), University of Colorado–Boulder, Boulder, CO, August 9–12, 2012.
- "Comments on solar radiation management." Comments on a panel at the Ninth Annual Meeting for Environmental Philosophy, Allenspark, CO, June 12–15, 2012.
- "A Proposal for the Governance of Solar Radiation Management." Conference on Science, Policy, and Social Values. Center for Values in Medicine, Science, and Technology, University of Texas at Dallas, Richardson, TX. April 13–14, 2012.
- "Research Ethics and Geoengineering." Paper presented at the "Geoengineering Our Climate" conference, Centre for International Governance Innovation, Ottawa, ON, January 19–20, 2012.
- "A Proposal for the International Regulation of Solar Radiation Management Research." Poster presented at the American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA, December 6–9, 2011.
- "Philosophy through Public Dialogue." Workshop conducted at the Advancing Public Philosophy Conference, Washington, DC, October 6–8, 2011.
- "Adaptive Preferences and a Theory of Desirability." Paper presented at Rocky Mountain Ethics Congress (RoME IV), University of Colorado–Boulder, Boulder, CO, August 4–7, 2011.
- "Practical Coherence: A Constructivist Solution to Some Naturalistic Doubts About Moral Intuitions." Paper presented at "Naturalisms in Ethics" conference, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand, July 14–15, 2011.
- "It's My Life: The Experience Machine and the Endowment Effect." Paper presented at the 5th Annual Meeting of the Midwest Ethics Society, Missouri State University, Springfield, MO, April 30, 2011.
- "Ethical Principles for Trials of Climate Intervention Technologies." Paper presented at Asilomar International Conference on Climate Intervention Technologies, Asilomar, CA, March 23, 2010.
- "Saving Robert Audi from the Brain Scanners." Paper presented at Ohio State University Philosophy Graduate Conference, Columbus, OH, May 3, 2008.
- "Rational intuitionism and the case of the mysterious mental thermometer." Paper presented at the SUNY Albany Philosophical Assocation Conference on Epistemology, Albany, NY, April 12, 2008.
- "Moral Psychology and the 'Mencian Creature.'" CUNY Graduate Center Cognitive Science Symposium, New York, NY, April 11, 2008.
- "The Phylosophy Project and Web 2.0: Emerging technologies and research applications." Paper co-presented with Chris Alen Sula at National Association for Computing and Philosophy Conference, Chicago, IL, July, 2007.
Guest Lectures, Public Lectures, etc.
- "Some Key Philosophical Concepts for Thinking about Geoengineering." Lecture, Fourth Interdisciplinary Geoengineering Summer School ("Solar Radiation Management: Exploring Uncertainties and Trade-offs"), Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, August 5, 2013.
- "The Need for New Energy Sources—Climate Change and Global Poverty." Lecture, UAB Interdisciplinary Innovation Forum, Birmingham, AL, January 24, 2012.
- "Epicurus and Epictetus: Two Ancient Theories of Happiness." Lecture at Donaldson Correctional Institute, Bessemer, AL, November 6, 2011.
- "Faith & Reason in Dialogue: Whose Worldview?" Panel discussion on reason and faith, Birmingham, AL, September 18, 2011.
- "Faith & Reason in Dialogue: Whose Truth?" Dialogue with Brandon Robbins of the Apologetics Resource Center, Birmingham, AL, June 19, 2011.
- "Moral psychology and moral intuitions." Guest lecture for Philosophy 358 Ethical Theory, Lehman College, The City University of New York, New York, NY, March 22, 2011.
- "Faith & Reason." Dialogue with Brandon Robbins of the Apologetics Resource Center, November 4, 2010
Academic, University & Professional Service
- Faculty advisor, UAB Philosophy Club, 2012/13
- Member, UAB Philosophy Department Hiring Committees, 2012/13
- Member, UAB Philosophy Department Committee for Internal Conflicts of Interest, 2012/13
- Member, UAB Philosophy Department Committee for 2013 Jemison Speaker, 2012/13
- Member, Ireland Selection Committee, 2012–present.
- Participant, Alpha Lambda Delta's "Raft Debate," University of Alabama at Birmingham, 2011, 2012
- Co-organizer, Conference on the Normative Implications of Moral Psychology, co-sponsored by the UAB Philosophy Department and UAB's Center for Ethics and Values in the Sciences, November 2011
- Member, UAB Research Ethics Advisory Committee, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Fall 2011–Spring 2012
- Co-Creator, Phylo Jobs, a free online listing of job openings in philosophy
- Ethics & Civic Responsibility committee, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 2010–2011
- Faculty membership committee, CUNY Graduate Center Philosophy Program, 2007/08–2008/09
- Webmaster, CUNY Graduate Center Philosophy Program, 2006/07–2007/08
- Conference organizer, CUNY Graduate Center Student Philosophy Conference, 2005/06
Awards & Honors
- UAB EMSAP Class of 2013 Outstanding Professor Award
- UAB Disability Support Services Outstanding Faculty Award, Fall 2011
- Inducted into Phi Beta Kappa, 2003
- Montgomery County Superintendent's Writing Award, 1987, 1988
Academic & Professional Associations